Friday, December 27, 2013

What The Hell Is This?

I made a trip back home last summer and a strange thing occurred. I had a front end vibration in the car at home just before I left. It would only occur one one road, and at one speed, during a cruise control drive. I went on the trip, no problems, got home and the same thing happened all over again. I chased it for a while thinking it was the A frame bushings, a job I will show  at a later date, but it wasn't. Just by happen stance, I put some 6-8 month old fuel in the tank when I was low on gas and in a hurry, and low and behold the car barely started and then just died. I got a ride and got more fuel in the tank but had no luck starting the car. Then with a turkey baster i put some a small amount gas down the throat and the car started but did not run. So I put more gas and got the tach to 4000 before it ran out of gas. So I knew it wasn't getting gas for some reason. We though about it and decided to tow it to the dealer believing he would have magic to get the car running again.

[Now here should pause and explain what really happened, rather than go to cure of the problem. I bought the car new in Avon CT having a trust in the car and 4 miles on the odometer, but being very naive about the employees at the dealership. After reviewing  all the stats, I realized that someone had added about 4 ounces of water to the gas tank, and some more to the power steering pump, I resolved the latter myself, but the former was a ticking time bomb I was not aware of, but was aware enough to keep my car away from the dealer as much as humanly possible. And this turned out to be a very good thing. Because after dropping off the car, the dealer rep told me it had a blown head gasket and high mileage and they want to replace my engine with another $900 one of their choosing. I said No no no, and asked how much to get my car back? A $100 he says. Now that got me to thinkin, cause the last time I went to the dealer for a warranty power window problem at 7 years ownership, a salesman wanted to get me into a new car. I said I have a new car and didn't need another one. What I didn't know at the time was the computer was able to sense a temp differential indicating water in the fuel line (and the resultant increase in operating temp at that point of interest), and for some reason needed to get me into another car, rather than talk about the solutions to rid the car of contaminated fuel.
    When I got to the dealership the rep said they pulled a spark plug, and there was fluid in the cylinder and it should be dry.  I told him that was supposed to be that way because I lubricate from the inside of the motor also, and that was what his head mechanic had seen and reported. I hooked the car up at no charge and we agreed to disagree.]

  So now I need an actual cure and so I let the local tow man take a crack at it. The problem was a designer one, there is a fuel loop right around the point of injection which, if contaminated, will slowly prevent the fuel from entering the injectors, even a small amount of contaminant will go straight to the motor plus I had the additional water added over time from regular gas up's. Back in the cold winters day we put dry gas in the tank to keep the line from freezing, but down south I had no worries of freezing so I never added any and it built up to the point of not starting. Now resolving the issue was a completely different story, you had to drain the tank completely from the top (or under the air filter housing, the water had weakened the fuel pump so we replaced it too), then put good gas into the tank along with a bottle of dry gas (Heet), then one person squirts a continual tiny amount of starting fluid into the throat as another person  slowly revs the engine cold, from 0 up to 6000  rpm to clear the contaminate from the loop, and then drive the car to remove more. Now this my friends is enough to kill just about any motor easy, unless you did have the proper lubrication already in place because the starting fluid is dry and you are racing the engine to clear it of contaminates.

Now just the point of this alone was enough to convince me that I have to eventually get back to the diesels of yesteryear and make good on that engine before I trust another company designer or computer to cost me a vehicle that won't last any  less than 30 years or 1,000,000 miles.
 Now today the car is fine and has more power and runs cooler than ever before, but it's the thought of the design which will make me sell this car down the road. I know it runs cooler because i did the gauges and the chart of mph-vs- temp before all this,  and now it runs 15 degrees cooler in all situations. The fuel loop when circulating fuel seems to cool the oil right at the hottest point of circulation, but when storing water only increases the oil at the same location.
My recommendation is to avoid the dealer at all cost. Even though he is a jolly fellow at the point of sale, behind closed doors, he lies and wants to you to come back for continual lackluster service, and another car soon after you have paid off the first one. And it was designed that way unfortunately. A rinse and repeat scenario if I ever saw one. Good luck

No comments: