Friday, December 20, 2019

New Car Camber Issues?

Camber troubles today?



Rather than start at the beginning of the end, I will address this as the beginning of the beginning. I got this civic new in jan 2003 and not 18 months later I was feeling the pull of wheel to left almost all the time unless you were driving on one side of the valley of an old road. First they blame it on the tires and yes it always drove better on new tires but soon after words you'd be in the same situation or even shortly afterwords replacing front end parts and doing the alignments all over again.

 This went on for many years until I started building the 1958 Mercedes Benz, that car required me to buy the equipment and do the job myself.

So about 3 years ago I had to replace the driveshafts in the civic and I did the alignment on the civic, the strange part about doing the alignment was to get it right, you had to measure the camber while the weight of the car was on the wheels, I learned this from the Mercedes after quite a trial of effort. So when I did the civic and then put new tires on, the car drove perfect since then which lead me to believe that the shops were doing the camber with the weight of car off the wheels and once on the ground the car drives like crap.

So now to my issue with new vehicles today.

I bought a new 2019 passport this year and dang if the car drives like crap unless you have that perfect flat and straight road. So I go to check the camber only to find it also is not accurate, but when I go to find the adjustments, I find there are none, or there is no camber adjustment, this lead me back to the dealer and service manager where we already determined that they don't quite want you to do anything to increase the life of the air conditioner, it would void the warranty.

So I get to the dealer only to find my worst fears for the consumer have come true, there is no camber adjustment point and obviously the camber is not accurate. This only enhances my desire to stop buying new things like cars b/c the integrity of the industry is going in the wrong direction and rather than try to fix(sue) , or resolve, all the broken things, or issues, being made, it's easier to just give up on new and stick to the old fashion way things were made, even as primitive as some of those things were made. So just know that you do have to do the industries homework for them before you purchase their products or easily fall victim to their haste, this is what I have found going forward.










 

No comments: